Saturday, 13 April 2013

This is Not Carol Mavor...


As recommended by a friend, I bought Carol Mavor's text "Black and Blue: The Bruising Passion". The text was a perfect contribution to by dissertation but it developed my realisation of the style of writing I wish to undertake: informed, academic, personal and poetic.

Mavor responds directly to Barthes' Camera Lucida (one of my ever favourite books) but she touches upon a very subtle, nuanced aspect of a theme that runs throughout the text; bruising.

I'm yet to read the whole book as I haven't even really touched the surface of it. But the best part is that I know i'm going to enjoy it. Perfect font, good paper, interesting and poetically named chapters, everything you gain from printed books.

Buying a printed book is like embarking on a life-long relationship. For that reason I am still averted to the Kindle...



This image is on the cover of the book, and FYI this is not Carol Mavor...

No comments:

Post a Comment